Job Display - Return to Search Results
Project Engineering Manager Sydney NSW AU Job at Bechtel
Requisition ID: 232979
Requisition Posting End Date: 04/15/2021
Bechtel, a global leader in project management, engineering, procurement and construction, has been selected by WSA Co as its Delivery Partner and Project Manager (Definition) for the Western Sydney Airport, a $5.3 billion greenfield facility in Badgerys Creek, New South Wales. This will be a landmark project for both New South Wales and Australia and is due for completion at the end of 2026.
Western Sydney Airport will provide much-needed additional aviation capacity to meet growing demand in the Sydney basin and improve access to flights for people in Western Sydney. One of Australia's most significant infrastructure projects in decades, the international and domestic airport will open in 2026, bringing social and economic prosperity to the Western Sydney region. Learn more about this exciting project at the following: www.wsaco.com.au.
- Plans and coordinates engineering work on one extremely large complex project, more than one lesser project or designated large engineering assignments (program) within a global business unit.
- Has full technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordinating assignments.
- Is responsible for acting independently on engineering matters pertaining to the project.
- Has full technical responsibility for planning, interpreting, organizing, executing and coordinating the engineering assignments and activities on the project/program.
- Establishes/manages the overall engineering budget, maintains ownership, and ensures execution within approved budgets.
- Acts as the primary interface to the global business unit Operation Manager, Project Manager, Manager of Engineering and client for all engineering and personnel matters within the project/program.
- Establishes the Engineering Execution Plan that ensures: the project/program is executed in accordance with Engineering Department Procedures; Technical Risk Assessments are comprehensive and complete; Safety Practices are implemented; and statutory and company specific design reviews are undertaken and are in accordance with quality assurance (QA) procedures.
A. Supervision Received
Receives administrative supervision from a global business unit Manager of Engineering / Engineering Manager in terms of broad general objectives and limits.
Receives operational supervision from a Project Manager.
B. Supervision Exercised
Exercises functional direction over assigned Engineers, Engineering Supervisors and Project Engineers.
Participates in contacts with the client on matters relating to project engineering performance, progress and quality.
Participates, as appropriate, in contacts with prospective and present clients to help develop new business for the global business unit.
- Supports an integrated organizational structure, including off-project functional and specialist support. Supports and communicates roles, responsibilities and authorities to project team members/partners and the Customer to ensure project completion in a safe manner, within budget, on schedule, and in conformance with the project requirements, appropriate standards, specifications and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Directs and provides technical and administrative guidance to assigned Project and/or discipline Engineers in the management of engineering projects by design and construct contractors and technical service providers
- Reviews staffing plans on all assignments.
- Conducts annual performance reviews in accordance with approved procedures and holds career development discussions.
- Participates in project planning prior to proposals to provide technical guidance in the engineering and construction review of proposals.
- Inputs to, owns and reviews project schedules and approves staffing estimates for engineering personnel for new proposals and jobs as assigned.
- Keeps informed on the status of all projects involving assigned personnel with respect to schedule, budget, work quality and client satisfaction, and contributes leadership, experience and expertise in the solution of difficult problems.
- Inputs to and owns the engineering elements of a project capital estimate (proposals and execution) quantities and budgets.
- Reviews major changes or deviations in project scope, project material quantities, budget or schedule, and assists particularly with defining the change, obtaining accurate estimates of the hours involved, and recommending budget adjustment.
- Monitors the use of available engineering computer programs, technical advances and engineering management control techniques on the projects assigned.
- Formulates and recommends for approval, engineering plans and programs for assigned projects.
- Champions the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction on the project or program.
Qualifications & Skills
- Leadership / management experience on a major ($1b+) airport facilities within the past five years;
- Management of turnover, testing and commissioning and completion of airport projects;
- Management of Fire / Life-Safety scope and approvals;
- Management of MEP & Control Systems Contractors in an aviation context;
- Knowledge of industry, technology and EPC work processes;
- Knowledge of Bechtel organization, policies, procedures and programs including QA and Safety.
- Knowledge of front-end activities including:
- Best Practices/Lessons Learned
- Risk Analysis/Contingency Evaluation
- Estimate/Proposal Review Process
- Ability to effectively organize and staff a project team in a matrix organization.
- Broad knowledge of administrative practices.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of Bechtel standard tools, techniques and procedures including:
- Project Controls
- Financial management
- Automation, including standard office tools
- Records management
- Root Cause Analysis
- Knowledge and experience in baseline development and implementation including:
- Scope definition
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Estimates and resource loaded schedules
- Progress and performance curves and metrics
- Reports and action items tracking
- Business and Commercial awareness including:
- Contract management of Design Consultants and Design/Build Contracts
- Proficient in negotiation for dealing with client representatives
- Proficient in negotiation with consultants and subcontractors
The above is normally acquired through:
- A recognized degree in architecture, engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, AND
- A professional license in an engineering discipline, or a license to practice architecture from a recognized licensing board, AND
- Specialized courses in relevant general engineering, architectural design or an appropriate engineering discipline, AND
- Extensive progressive work experience, including supervision, preferably in project and staff design engineering or architectural design or other relevant types of engineering such as systems start-up, field engineering on large infrastructure projects.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.More information on this Job
ID: 18545020 - Save Job
: HR Jobs
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customersí objectives to create a lasting positive impact. We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations.